By the end of January, one in three people would have ditched their January health kick!! If you are one of them, then I hope you will continue reading and be encouraged to get back to your commitment to be a healthier version of you this year. For the rest of you overachievers, this article is to validate your commitment to a healthier year.
Detoxing is all the rage right now … promising to put the spring back in your step and achieve a flatter tummy. But what is detoxing and how important is it to your health? To enjoy radiant health in our increasingly contaminated environment our bodies need extra help and the best way to offer that assistance is by detoxing.
Accepting this responsibility is the first step in the detox process. As you proceed with your detoxing efforts and your body is cleansed, you can anticipate your digestive system improving, nasal congestion clearing, blood pressure levels stabilizing, mental clarity and memory improving, and energy levels rising.
Detoxing is just a short word used to describe cleansing your body from the inside out. Every day we are bombarded with toxins (any substance that causes irritation or harmful effect in your body). Toxins are in the food we eat, the water we drink, the air we breathe, the products we put onto our skins and use in our homes. In addition to these exogenous toxins, our body naturally produces toxins too. Its up to your digestive system, liver, kidneys and skin to get rid of these toxins. Over time the build up of toxins compromises the way our body’s function, setting us up for disease and poor health.
The 6 principles for detoxing are simple;
- Focus on clean, living, nutrient dense foods
- Drink pure water
- Identify and reduce your exposure to toxins
- Clean and repair your gut
- Support your liver
- Move often
There are many detox programs available and you need to select one that works best with your schedule and health goals. I always recommend finding a practitioner that can help guide you to finding the right detox program for you.
Here are some tips I give my clients to ensure a successful detox;
- Choose D-day – select a time to start your detox that is not too busy, when your schedule is a little lighter and you don’t have many social engagements
- Plan – shop for all the items on your detox grocery list beforehand to ensure you are prepared for each meal
- Put on your apron – cooking your own meals is ideal when on a detox as you can control the ingredients
- Wean yourself off alcohol – alcohol is broken down into toxins in your body that damage your liver and brain. In addition, it depletes your body of essential vitamins and minerals
- Reduce caffein – caffein is a diuretic and dehydrates the body. It also prevents your body from absorbing certain vitamins and minerals
- Eliminate sugar – rather find sweetness in life
- Detox your pantry – purge all junk food to avoid temptation
- Detox your personal care products – part of identifying and avoiding toxins is to carefully examine whats in your shampoo, creams, cosmetic and replacing them with safe, non toxic alternatives
- Ensure you have your recommended supplements – your wellness practitioner will recommend supplements to support your body’s detoxification process when doing any detox program
- Move every day – this stimulates circulation and lymph flow, boosting your body ability to eliminate toxins
No matter what detox program my clients select, I always recommend the following two protocols to support and enhance their detox initiatives;
- Dry body brushing. Helps stimulate the lymph. Using a natural bristle brush start at the feet brushing up towards your heart. Brush arms from fingers towards the heart. Do this preferably before your shower.
- Hot and cold shower. Helps boost circulation. Standing in your shower get the water as hot as you can stand for 3 min followed by as cold as you can stand for 30 seconds. Repeat this three times, then dry off quickly
There is power and potential in your daily choices. Every day your nutritional and lifestyle choices move you towards your health goals or further away from them. Your body cannot function optimally under conditions of toxic overload, repeated stress or poor nutrition. So this year, kick start your journey to radiant health with a detox and make it your best year ever.
To reaching radiant health,
LeeJoy Ellis, ND